Speak up on HB2908
The West Virginia Division of Forestry (WV DOF) wants to increase habitat-oriented management on state forests, but due to lack of funding, the WV DOF has 40 vacant forester positions.
A bill in the West Virginia legislature would increase the WV DOF’s funding and enable them to do more management, but it hasn’t moved out of committee.
With a quick email or phone call, RGS members in West Virginia can ensure the bill moves out of committee and is heard in the House and Senate.
Please take a few minutes to find your representative and then call or email them.
First, find your state representative:
- Identify which district you live in: https://wvlegislature.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=fee45f9bc9064e6fb1f2b443f2ec7037
- Look up your representative: https://www.wvlegislature.gov/house/roster.cfm
Talking points for your call or email
You can copy and paste these bullet points into your email. It’s always a good idea to personalize your email or message by saying that you live in their district and why this issue matters to you.
- Please support House Bill 2908, which would appropriate $2M for the Division of Forestry.
- A Republican and a Democrat sponsor HB 2908
- It would fund the WV DOF from the state’s budget surplus
- It would allow the WV DOF to hire needed foresters and buy them trucks
- Forest management creates critical habitat for ruffed grouse, American woodcock, deer, wild turkeys and other wildlife
Thanks for all you do for wildlife.
Mid-Atlantic Forest Conservation Director
RGS & AWS